Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Every Home Should Have an Air Purifier
At SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin, we care about our communities health and safety. Are you one of the millions who suffer from asthma or allergies everyday? Do you own an air purifier? Do you think about the air quality of your home?
Maybe its time to invest in a air purifier for yourself. You can buy one these days under $80, the cost of a monthly cell phone service bill, to keep forever...
Most people who buy air purifiers do so in hopes of easing asthma, allergies or even dust in there homes... The very best portable air purifiers are very effective at cleaning the air, mold spores, smoke,dust, and pollen at their highest and lowest speed.
Mold spores range from 1-30 microns, and air purifiers remove mold as small as .003 microns. UV light is helpful but is not required for removing spores... Mold spores die inside the HEPA filter due to the fact that it's a dry sterile environment. A quality HEPA air purifier remove's airborne mold spores and keeps the air quality of your home at par.
If your kids or loved one's constantly suffers from asthma and allergies, try and test out a good quality air purifier to see if you notice a difference prior to buying one.
Water Damage Prevention
Here at SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin we are Water Damage specialists, and we compiled a small list on how to prevent water damage from happening often in your home:
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts - Clean your gutters at least twice a year to avoid blockage. Standing water can cause damage to your gutters and roof. Don’t forget to clean downspouts to ensure water can flow through, and secure downspouts so that they point away from the home.
- Know your Water Main - Know the location of your water main and shut it off if you leave for an extended amount of time.
- Check Appliances Regularly - Check and maintain your appliances regularly for leaks according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Investigate Leaks Right Away and Fix Promptly - If you choose to ignore any water damage, or postpone making the necessary repairs, be prepared to experience mold, mildew, dry rot, or even structural damage to your home.
- Upgrade Washing Machine Hoses - Old, brittle or leaky washing machine hoses are among the most frequent causes of water loss for homeowners. Replace yours often throughout the year to avoid an expensive damage.
- Check Your Water Pressure - If the water pressure to your home is too high, then your pipes and hoses may fail under the high pressure. Buy a water pressure gauge at a local hardware store, attach it to an outside faucet, and turn the faucet to full force. The gauge will give you a reading of the home’s water pressure. Typical homes water systems are designed for pressure of 40 – 70 psi. Anything above 70 psi will put your plumbing at risk.
- Monitor Your Water Bill - Sometimes, the only way you know that water is leaking is taking a closer look at your water bill. If your usage jumps significantly from one month to the next, then there is probably a leak somewhere in the home.
Facts About Soot and Smoke - How SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin can help
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin today - (916) 632-2250 or (530) 885-2255
How can SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin help with Biohazard concerns?
SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin does more than just fire and water restoration. Our professionals can also help you with Biohazard, Vandalism and Crime Scene Cleanup.
Bloodborn pathogens can be scary. Bodily fluids, tissues and other potentially risky substances can be removed and disposed of properly by our technicians who are trained in proper biohazard removal.
Crime scene residue can be overwhelming. Once law enforcement is finished with the area, let our professional technicians come in and deal with the fingerprint powder, evidence-gathering chemicals and residues from tear gas or pepper spray.
Arson and vandalism can leave a home or business owner feeling vulnerable, violated and unsafe. Let SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin take care of the aftermath. Our team can remove spray paint, clean up broken glass and clean up after a fire.
Sewage backups are the worst! Black water carries with it a terrible odor as well as potentially harmful microorganisms into your home or business. SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin can remove the black water, contaminants and dry the area. They will disinfect and clean the property and leave it "Like it never even happend."
Fall Allergy Guide
Here at SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin, we are professionals when it comes to restoration and remediation. What we really care about is helping people. So, we have come up with a quick guide on how to get through this allergy season:
- Check the pollen count when you wake up.
- Try not to walk through leafs, they attract moisture that lets mold flourish.
- Make sure to drive to work with your windows up and the AC on.
- Wash your hands to clean out any remaining pollen from your hands.
- Keep your work station uncluttered and clean of any dust.
- Shower and change clothes as soon as you get home.
- Don't let the temperature get above 72 degrees overnight; mold grows in warmth.
- Wash your sheets to remove any lingering pollen.
- Keep your windows closed overnight.
Mold Remediation Specialists
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.