Are You Prepared for a Thunderstorm?
In recent days we have experienced large thunder and lightning storms. It is important to be prepared and have a plan in place. Talk with your family and create an emergency plan for thunderstorms, lightning, floods, and heavy winds. Think about an emergency shelter and evacuation plan. Below we have a few suggestions to make sure you and your family are ready for whatever happens.
Protect your electronics
Your electronics can get fried if they are not properly protected. Plug electronics into a surge protector to avoid damage during a storm.
Prepare for power outages
Have battery-operated flashlights and lanterns in easy to get to places. Check on these items from time to time to make sure the batteries still work, replace them if necessary. Also, think about keeping the refrigerator and freezer doors shut to keep food from spoiling. Call your local power company to inform them of the outage and to get information regarding when the power should be restored.
Stay away from power lines
Do not go near power lines should they fall to the ground; they can be very hazardous. Call 911 if you see downed power lines.
Go inside when you hear thunder
If you hear thunder, it is likely that lightning is also occurring. Lightning can be dangerous, so make sure to go inside when thunder occurs.
Keep an emergency kit ready
Consider putting together a kit of things you may want to have on hand during a storm. Items you may want to include would be water, non-perishable food, flashlights, blankets, extra batteries, a radio, and a first aid kit.
If an emergency does strike your home during a thunderstorm, SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin is ready to help get your life back to normal. Call us and we’ll be there for you! (916) 632-2250
The Water Cleanup Process After a Flood
It is crucial to remember that the most important step a property owner can take whenever they have noticed flood water in their business or water in their home is to immediately call in the professionals. Once the call is made, a water cleanup team will be dispatched to the home as soon as possible.
Once on scene, the water cleanup team will immediately start the assessment of the water in the business or water in the home, classifying the water according to its health hazard risk and moving quickly to stanch any existing leaks emanating from pipe breaks or supply line breaks. The team will also carefully examine the area around the original pipe break or supply line break, noting if any water has seeped into unseen or hard-to-reach places.
Once the damage to the flooded home or business has been assessed, the team will begin the water removal process.
Removing standing water from the flooded home or business:
Water will be removed through the use of heavy-duty extracting equipment. This should only take a few minutes, as the equipment used is capable of sucking out thousands of gallons of water per hour.
If you've found water in your home or business call SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin today (916) 632-2250
Understanding the Fire Damage Restoration Process
After a fire tragedy such as an electrical fire or a utility room fire, there's confusion among the afflicted parties, and it is hard to figure what to expect. In such a scenario, a professional commercial fire damage expert can ensure that the occupants of the building get back to their normal lives. It is crucial for every afflicted party to begin the process. Most people take a long time to start the fire restoration after the fire truck has left the premises for soot damage to take a toll on the building and its contents after firefighters have completed the fire suppression process.
Emergency Fire Damage Contacts:
Any company understands that the longer it takes to begin the fire restoration process, the harder it becomes to rectify soot and smoke damage. Most commercial building managers have the emergency contacts for a firetruck. Commercial fire damage experts and companies have emergency contacts, and they operate 24/7. They are prompt in their response, and it is vital that property owners and managers save their contacts.
Document Drying - Post Storm Damage
Concerned that your documents may be lost forever after a major storm? Have no fear! Here at SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin, we have state-of-the-art technology that can restore your damaged documents after a storm!
We bar-code every box using the iCat system, allowing us to know the location of any box in our facility at any time. All documents are inventoried at the location of the loss prior to packaging.
Process in which an item containing moisture is frozen and dried using various vacuums and pressures to achieve sublimation.
High-energy photons are emitted from an isotope source (Cobalt 60) producing ionization (electron disruptions) throughout a product. In living cells, these disruptions result in damage to the DNA and other cellular structures. These photon-induced changes at the molecular level cause the death of the organism or render the organism incapable of reproduction. The gamma process does not create residuals or impart radioactivity in processed products.
Gamma Irradiation is a process that is used for cleaning/disinfecting and decontaminating documents or other consumer goods.
In a Category 3 situation (sewage or flood water), documents are not only deteriorating but are also infected with all types of bacteria. As you all know in most storm situations you are dealing with CAT 3 water, therefore most of the affected documents that you will encounter will be contaminated; if this is the case than de-contamination is always a must.
We will go through each box page by page to wipe down and remove dirt, soot, or other contaminants. We have 3 levels of cleaning based on the type of soiling, and how heavy it is.
Many times documents that have been affected will hold residual smells of contaminants, or mildew, and should be deodorized before being returned to your client.
With the new age of technology, digitizing records and documents has become a standard practice in most industries. This eliminates the need to have massive file storage rooms and allows us to access records at the click of a button. if your file room was damaged by water, or smoke, and needed to be cleaned, dried, or decontaminated, digitizing might be a good choice to eliminate the need to have 100's or even 1000's of documents and records in storage.
Often times facilities will have documents they no longer need to hold on to and would simply like to have them disposed of properly.
Feel free to give us a call anytime @ (916)632-2250
Prepare Your Home For A Wind Storm: Top 6 Ways To Protect Your Home!
Top 6 Ways To Protect Your Home From Wind Damage
Wind storms can be very damaging to your home or property if you are not prepared. Unfortunately, we rarely get much warning before a large wind storm so it is critical to prepare your home ahead of time. Routinely checking, fixing or updating areas around your home can make the difference between a hundred dollars and thousands of dollars in damages.
Here are six ways to prepare your home before the next storm hits:
- Is your roof in good shape?
- Your shingles should be nailed down properly and all secured together.
- Replace any missing shingles immediately.
- Make sure your garage door is secure.
- Sometimes this means hiring a company to inspect your garage door to ensure it is properly secured and functioning well.
- Secure all outdoor items.
- Grills, patio furniture, trampolines, etc. These items can cause a lot of damage if the wind is strong enough to pick them up.
- Ensure your gutters are properly secured and clean them out regularly.
- Clogged cutters can create water damage to your house. They are also more likely to break in a high wind storm if they are weakened by heavy debris.
- Are your windows storm proof?
- Installing storm proof windows can make a big difference in protecting your home from high winds and hail from a storm.
- If you don’t have storm proof windows, consider installing steel or aluminum shutters on your windows or sliding doors to protect them from flying debris.
- Remove or trim/maintain trees around your home.
- Trimming your trees of dead wood can help prevent large branches falling during a wind storm.
Be sure to routinely check and maintain your home so you are ready before the next storm hits. However, if you do find yourself in need of help after a storm, call SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin we specialize in restoration and water damage repair in the Seattle Northwest area. Call us after a storm and let us take the stress off of your family! We will make sure it's like it never even happened!
We can be reached 24/7 @ (916)632-2250
At SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin we understand that any type of exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose some serious health threats and consequences. In a commercial setting, any type of sewage backup, blood cleanup or even chemical spill, can place YOU and all of the inhabitants of the area at risk. Upon recognizing the situation, your primary focus should be safety. After the area has been critically assessed, you should be well versed in the do’s and don’ts after a contamination.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Situations that contain any biohazardous material or spills, should not be handled lightly. At SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin, we care about our local community, as well as all of those that live in the area. If you have any questions, or would like to contact one of our professionals, please call (916)632-2250
Water Damage Timeline
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster to Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 916-632-2250
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin
SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
It’s the Water You Don't See
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time.
The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin has the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a fire or water loss. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin will answer your call with rapid action and a full arsenal of drying equipment. Here are a few of the tools we use.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
- Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate readings, allowing SERVPRO® of Northern Las Vegas to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. When armed with this information, we can calculate and create an environment most conducive to drying. When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but the structure must also be disinfected and often deodorized.
- Ultra Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate.
- Thermal Foggers dispense solvent-based products by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor causing particles.
The bottom line? SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin has the training and equipment to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Call us at (916)632-2250
When Your Home Needs Water Damage Repair
How Water Damage Occurs
Water Damage occurs for any number of reasons and sometimes it goes on long before you notice it. The most common ways in which water damage occurs are the following:
- Pipes – Leaking, burst, or cracked pipes are common in homes, especially older homes where pipes might need replacing. Spots with prior repairs are more susceptible to future damage with time and use. Weather changes and weakened areas of pipe can all lead to water damage in your homes.
- Flooding – Flooding whether caused by heavy rain, plumbing failures, or groundwater exposure, causes extensive damage and affects many surfaces and items in your home from the floor to ceiling including electrical outlets, TV’s and appliances, and furniture.
- Basements and Crawlspaces - Accumulating water can sit and collect in damp and cool places like a basement or crawlspace.
Results of Unrepaired Water Damage
Even the smallest amount of water damage can lead to deteriorating housing materials and fungal growth like mold. Mold loves to multiply in damp, moist, and dark locations. Areas in your home that were not properly cleaned and dried are perfect hosts for mold. Humid locations are especially susceptible to mold growth. Mold spores are also airborne, spread quickly, and can cause health effects.
Call your water damage professionals at (916) 632-2250
You Have Water Damage. Now What?
First, when assessing if you should attempt water damage repair before calling a professional also determine whether it is safe to remain in your home. The biggest concern is your electrical system and the potentials for injury from slipping. Then,
- The sooner you clean the better. If the water damage is manageable and your safety in check, begin the clean-up process right away.
- Water is heavy. Removing water logged and soaking wet items is a laborious task, therefore be aware of your own abilities and safety when removing wet items.
- Leave your vacuum in the closet. Your household vacuum is not equipped to handle water removal. Use a mop and bucket, or another absorbent cloth, to soak up and dispose of the water manually. Blot rugs and furniture with absorbent material to soak up the water.
- Hang up those wet fabrics. Leaving any fabric material soaking in water is a fungus breeding ground. Remove cushions, curtains, blankets, and throw rugs to dry elsewhere.
- Keep those appliances and electronics off. Your electronics could have water damage where you cannot see it.
- Clean up. Clean up and remove everything from the waterlogged area that isn’t bolted in place.
Leaving any water damaged areas unrepaired leads to further damage and toxic living situations.
Lastly, call SERVPRO Auburn/Rocklin with our industrial equipment we ensure water damage repairs happen immediately and properly. We handle the entire repair process from removing the water to ensuring everything in your home is dry; preventing mold growth and further material damage, protecting your health and making your home safe again.