Summer is a time to enjoy the great outdoors, but it is important to also keep safety in mind. Consider the following tips, provided by the National Fire Protection Association, to keep your family safe all summer long.
- When using a charcoal grill, only use starter fluids designed for barbeque grills; DO NOT add fluid after the coals have been lit.
- When using a gas grill, ensure the hose connection is tight and check the hoses for leaks. Applying soapy water to the hoses will easily and safely reveal any leaks.
- When camping, always use a flame retardant tent and set up camp far away from the camp fire.
- Always build a campfire downwind from the tent area. Clear vegetation and dig a pit before building your fire. Extinguish the fire before going to sleep or leaving the campsite.
- Store liquid fire starter (not gasoline) away from your tent and campfire. Only use dry kindling to freshen a campfire.