Mold Damage in Your Home
Mold is an element of the natural environment. When outdoors it plays an important part in nature by breaking down any dead, organic material like trees and fallen leaves. Indoors, however, you will want to avoid mold growth. Mold expands by means of tiny spores which are invisible to the naked eye and float through the air. When spores land on surfaces which are moist, mold can start growing indoors.
Since common building materials are capable of sustaining the growth of mold and mold spores, leaky roofs, flooding and general maintenance or problems with indoor plumbing can lead to mold damage. Mold can be virtually present anywhere and it can grow on just about any surface where there is moisture present. Many times, mold growth can go unseen, so if you suspect you have a problem contacting our professional staff at SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin is a must. Water vapor condenses on surfaces which are cooler than the air, letting mold grow. This moisture vapor will pass through walls and ceilings, condensing as temperatures fluctuate. With our special equipment, moisture sensors, infrared cameras, and traps we can find the mold so that we may begin remediation of affected zones.
Mold growth that is significant will require food and moisture sources and a substrate to sustain growth. Building materials that are common like drywall, plywood, furring strips, carpet padding, and carpets give food to mold. With carpeting, invisible dust and cellulose are also sources of food.
Our technicians at SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin can help you find this hidden mold behind paneling or wallpaper, inside ceiling tiles, the back of drywall or underneath carpeting. Plumbing lines in walls could also be a source of moisture since they could leak.
Three things are needed for mold spores to grow and proliferate:
- Nutrients – a common food source for indoor spores is cellulose.
- Moisture – this starts the decaying process caused by mold.
- Time – mold growth starts between twenty-four hours to ten days after the right growth conditions are present. These fungi also prefer secreted areas away from direct sunlight.
Our first step in assessing your mold damage is to non-intrusively determine if you have mold present in your home by examining the building visually. Mold patches can readily be treated. Sometimes, intrusive observation will be needed to assess the level of mold. This can include raising or removing carpeting, shifting furniture, checking behind paneling or wallpaper, inspecting ductwork and opening wall cavities. A detailed visual inspection will be used to find any problems and efforts will be focused on areas where any signs of water vapor or moisture are present.
If you suspect you have mold damage in your home, call us right away at (916) 632-2250. SERVPRO of Auburn/Rocklin will get you a quick response and visit to your property.